// CODE SNIPPET
712.1.9 Two-Story Openings
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
In other than Groups I-2 and I-3, a vertical opening that is not used as one of the applications listed in this section shall be permitted if the opening complies with all of the following items:
- Does not connect more than two stories.
- Does not penetrate a horizontal assembly that separates fire areas or smoke barriers that separate smoke compartments.
- Is not concealed within the construction of a wall or a floor/ceiling assembly.
- Is not open to a corridor in Group I and R occupancies.
- Is not open to a corridor on nonsprinklered floors.
- Is separated from floor openings and air transfer openings serving other floors by construction conforming to required shaft enclosures.