1010.3 Turnstiles and Similar Devices
Each turnstile or similar device shall be credited with a capacity based on not more than a 50-person occupant load where all of the following provisions are met:
- Each device shall turn free in the direction of egress travel when primary power is lost and on the manual release by an employee in the area.
- Such devices are not given credit for more than 50 percent of the required egress capacity or width.
- Each device is not more than 39 inches (991 mm) high.
- Each device has not less than 161/2 inches (419 mm) clear width at and below a height of 39 inches (991 mm) and not less than 22 inches (559 mm) clear width at heights above 39 inches (991 mm).
Security access turnstiles that inhibit travel in the direction of egress utilizing a physical barrier shall be permitted to be considered as a component of the means of egress, provided that all of the following criteria are met:
- The building is protected throughout by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Each security access turnstile lane configuration has a minimum clear passage width of 22 inches (559 mm).
- Any security access turnstile lane configuration providing a clear passage width of less than 32 inches (810 mm) shall be credited with a maximum egress capacity of 50 persons.
- Any security access turnstile lane configuration providing a clear passage width of 32 inches (810 mm) or more shall be credited with a maximum egress capacity as calculated in accordance with Section 1005.
- 5.1. Upon loss of power to the turnstile or any part of the access control system that secures the physical barrier.
- 5.2.1. On the egress side of each security access turnstile lane.
- 5.2.2. At an approved location where it can be actuated by an employee assigned to the area at all times that the building is occupied.
- 5.4. Upon actuation of the building automatic sprinkler or fire detection system, after which the physical barrier remains in the open position until the fire alarm system is manually reset.
Exception: A side-hinged swinging door is not required at security access turnstiles that comply with Section 1010.3.2.