Section 1002 Trap Requirements
Each plumbing fixture shall be separately trapped by a liquid-seal trap, except as otherwise permitted by this code. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm), and the horizontal distance shall not exceed 30 inches (762 mm) measured from the centerline of the fixture outlet to the centerline of the inlet of the trap. The height of a clothes washer standpipe above a trap shall conform to Section 802.3.3. A fixture shall not be double trapped.
- This section shall not apply to fixtures with integral traps.
- A combination plumbing fixture is permitted to be installed on one trap, provided that one compartment is not more than 6 inches (152 mm) deeper than the other compartment and the waste outlets are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) apart.
- A grease interceptor intended to serve as a fixture trap in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions shall be permitted to serve as the trap for a single fixture or a combination sink of not more than three compartments where the vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the inlet of the interceptor does not exceed 30 inches (762 mm) and the developed length of the waste pipe from the most upstream fixture outlet to the inlet of the interceptor does not exceed 60 inches (1524 mm).
- Floor drains in multilevel parking structures that discharge to a building storm sewer shall not be required to be individually trapped. Where floor drains in multilevel parking structures are required to discharge to a combined building sewer system, the floor drains shall not be required to be individually trapped provided that they are connected to a main trap in accordance with Section 1103.1.
- Trench and floor drains connected to a sand oil interceptor need not be individually trapped provided the drain piping from the trench or floor drains is turned down after entering the interceptor so the discharge point is a minimum of 4 inches below the standing water level of the interceptor.
The following types of traps are prohibited: