119-214 Tier II Requirements for Driveways and Private Roads
The provisions set forth in this Section and Section 119-213 (Grading controls) shall apply to driveways and to private roads that provide access to buildings developed after December 11, 1999. The provisions for private roads set forth in Section 26-20, inclusive, shall not apply. However, the provisions of Sections 26-31 through 26-34 shall apply for private roads in lower density growth management areas.
(1) the maximum grade of a driveway shall not exceed 10 percent;
(2) the paved width of a driveway shall not exceed 18 feet; and
(3) the maximum length of a driveway from a private road or street to an accessory parking space shall not exceed 80 feet.
(b) Private roads
(1) the maximum grade of a private road shall not exceed 10 percent;
(2) the width of the graded section beyond the curb back or edge of pavement of a private road shall extend no more than three feet beyond the curb back or edge of pavement on both the cut and the fill sides of the roadway. If a sidewalk is to be installed parallel to the roadway, the graded section shall be increased by the width of the sidewalk plus no more than one foot beyond the curb back;
(3) the paved width of a private road shall not exceed 30 feet;
(4) curbs shall be provided along each side of the entire length of a private road and accessory parking spaces may be located between the required roadbed and curb;
(5) a curb cut, excluding splays, from a street to a private road may be as wide as such private road;
(6) curb cuts providing access from private roads to parking spaces shall not exceed the width of the driveway served and in no event shall exceed a width of 18 feet, including splays;
(7) a minimum distance of 16 feet of uninterrupted curb space shall be maintained between all curb cuts;
(8) no building permit shall be issued by the Department of Buildings without approval by the Fire Department regarding the adequacy of vehicular access to and within the development for fire safety. Such approval may include the modification of private road width as set forth in paragraph (b)(3) of this Section; and
(9) for the purposes of applying the yard regulations of Section 26-31, the curb of the private road shall be considered to be the street line.
The City Planning Commission may by authorization or special permit, as applicable, pursuant to Section 119-30 (SPECIAL REVIEW PROVISIONS), allow modifications to, or waivers of, the requirements of this Section. The approval of the Fire Department regarding the adequacy of vehicular access to and within the development for fire safety shall be a condition precedent for any modification or waiver.