// CODE SNIPPET
2103.11.1 Thin-Bed Mortar for AAC Masonry
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Thin-bed mortar for AAC masonry shall be specifically manufactured for use with AAC masonry. Testing to verify mortar properties shall be conducted by the thin-bed mortar manufacturer and confirmed by an independent testing agency:
- The compressive strength of thin-bed mortar, as determined by ASTM C 109, shall meet or exceed the strength of the AAC masonry units.
- The shear strength of thin-bed mortar shall meet or exceed the shear strength of the AAC masonry units for wall assemblages tested in accordance with ASTM E 519.
- The flexural tensile strength of thin-bed mortar shall not be less than the modulus of rupture of the masonry units. Flexural strength shall be determined by testing in accordance with ASTM E 72 (transverse load test), ASTM E 518 Method A (flexural bond strength test) or ASTM C 1072 (flexural bond strength test).
- For conducting flexural strength tests in accordance with ASTM E 518, at least five test specimens shall be constructed as stack-bonded prisms at least 32 inches (810 mm) high. The type of mortar specified by the AAC unit manufacturer shall be used.
- For flexural strength tests in accordance with ASTM C 1072, test specimens shall be constructed as stack-bonded prisms comprised with at least three bed joints. A total of at least five joints shall be tested using the type of mortar specified by the AAC unit manufacturer.
- The splitting tensile strength of AAC masonry assemblages composed of two AAC masonry units bonded with one thin-bed mortar joint shall be determined in accordance with ASTM C 1006 and shall equal or exceed 2.4 √f' A A C