// CODE SNIPPET
803.5.1 Textile Wall or Ceiling Coverings
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Textile wall or ceiling coverings shall comply with one of the following:
- The wall or ceiling covering shall have a Class A flame spread index in accordance with ASTM E 84 or UL 723, and be protected by automatic sprinklers installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
- The wall covering shall meet the criteria of Section 803.5.1.1 when tested in the manner intended for use in accordance with NFPA 265 using the product-mounting system, including adhesive, of actual use.
- The wall or ceiling covering shall meet the criteria of Section 803.1.2.1 when tested in accordance with NFPA 286 using the product-mounting system, including adhesive, of actual use.
During the Method B protocol, the textile wall covering or expanded vinyl wall covering shall comply with the following:
- During the 40-kW exposure, flames shall not spread to the ceiling.
- The flame shall not spread to the outer extremities of the samples on the 8-foot by 12-foot (203 by 305 mm) walls.
- Flashover, as defined in NFPA 265, shall not occur.
- For newly introduced wall and ceiling coverings, the total smoke released throughout the test shall not exceed 1,000 m2.