Building envelope tightness and insulation installation shall be considered acceptable when tested air leakage is less than seven air changes per hour (ACH) when tested with a blower door at a pressure of 1.0 psf (50 Pa) as verified using instruments and procedures specified in ASHRAE/ASTM E779. The test shall be conducted by a qualified person, who shall demonstrate competence to the satisfaction of the code enforcement official for the conduct of such tests. For the purpose of this section, ACH50 shall mean air changes per hour of infiltration into a house as measured with a blower door at 50 pascals of pressure, in accordance with ASHRAE/ASTM E779. Testing shall occur after rough in and after installation of penetrations of the building envelope, including penetrations for utilities, plumbing, electrical, ventilation and combustion appliances.
- Exterior windows and doors, fireplace and stove doors shall be closed, but not sealed;
- Dampers shall be closed, but not sealed, including exhaust, intake, makeup air, backdraft and flue dampers;
- Interior doors shall be open;
- Exterior openings for continuous ventilation systems and heat recovery ventilators shall be closed and sealed;
- Heating and cooling system(s) shall be turned off;
- HVAC ducts shall not be sealed; and
- Supply and return registers shall not be sealed.
Test results shall be provided to the code enforcement official and shall include:
- Name and place of business of the tester;
- Address of the building which was tested;
- Conditioned floor area of dwelling, calculated in accordance with ANSI Z65-1996, except that conditioned floor area shall include areas where the ceiling height is less than 5 feet (1524 mm);
- Measurement of ACH50; and
- Certification of accuracy of test results and signature of tester.