// CODE SNIPPET
12-7A-3.7 Test System Preparation (Figure 1)
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- Eaves fabrication. The 4-foot-wide by 2-foot (1.2 m by 0.6 m) test specimen shall be constructed to fit into a 4-foot-wide (1.2 m) space at the top of the test assembly described in SFM 12-7A-1. Normal eave framing, joints in soffit material, and other typical features present in the constructed assembly shall be present in the test specimen.
- Test Fixture. The test fixture shall be as described in SFM 12-7A-1, with the exception that the top soffit projection of the wall assembly fixture is modified to facilitate installation and removal of eave assemblies. Gypsum board (or equivalent) is used to create a noncombustible wall surface in the 4 × 8 ft. opening in the wall test fixture.
- Eaves assembly. Fit the eave assembly into the test module so that the horizontal surface of the assembly is 84 inches (2.1 m) from the top of the burner.
- Moisture content. Measure the moisture content of the wooden members of the assembly using a moisture meter (ASTM D 4444), and, for sheathing products, by methods outlined in ASTM D 4442.
- Sealing. Seal the edges and ends with ceramic wool or comparable material to prevent flame penetration in these locations of the eave assembly.