The allowable vertical load-bearing capacity, torsional moment capacity and deflection characteristics of joist hangers and similar connectors shall be permitted to be determined in accordance with ASTM D 1761 using lumber having a specific gravity of 0.49 or greater, but not greater than 0.55, as determined in accordance with AF&PA NDS for the joist and headers.
The vertical load-bearing capacity for the joist hanger or connector shall be determined by testing a minimum of three joist hanger or connector assemblies as specified in ASTM D 1761. If the ultimate vertical load for any one of the tests varies more than 20 percent from the average ultimate vertical load, at least three additional tests shall be conducted. The allowable vertical load-bearing of the joist hanger shall be the lowest value determined from the following:
1. The lowest ultimate vertical load for a single hanger or connector from any test divided by three (where three tests are conducted and each ultimate vertical load does not vary more than 20 percent from the average ultimate vertical load).
2. The average ultimate vertical load for a single hanger or connector from all tests divided by three (where six or more tests are conducted).
3. The average from all tests of the vertical loads that produce a vertical movement of the joist with respect to the header of 1/8 inch (3.2 mm).
4. The sum of the allowable design loads for nails or other fasteners utilized to secure the joist hanger or connector to the wood members and allowable bearing loads that contribute to the capacity of the hanger.
5. The allowable design load for the wood members forming the connection.Relocated
The torsional moment capacity for the joist hanger shall be determined by testing at least three joist hanger assemblies as specified in ASTM D 1761. The allowable torsional moment of the joist hanger shall be the average torsional moment at which the lateral movement of the top or bottom of the joist with respect to the original position of the joist is 1/8 inch (3.2 mm).Relocated