The flow rate used for sizing the sprinkler piping system shall be based on the following:
- The flow rate for a room having only one sprinkler shall be the flow rate required for the sprinkler in accordance with Section 6188.8.131.52.
- The flow rate for a room having two or more sprinklers shall be determined by identifying the sprinkler in the room with the highest required flow rate in accordance with Section 6184.108.40.206 and multiplying that flow rate by 2.
- Where the sprinkler manufacturer specifies different criteria for ceiling configurations that are not smooth, flat, and horizontal the required flow rate for that room shall be in accordance with the sprinkler manufacturer's instructions.
- The flow rate used for sizing the sprinkler system shall be the flow required by the room with the largest flow rate in accordance with Section 6220.127.116.11(1), Section 618.104.22.168(2), and Section 622.214.171.124(3).
- For the purpose of this section, it shall be permissible to reduce the flow rate for a room by subdividing the space into two or more rooms, where each room is evaluated separately on the required design flow rate. Each room shall be bounded by walls and a ceiling. Openings in walls shall have a lintel not less than 8 inches (203 mm) in depth, and each lintel shall form a solid barrier between the ceiling and the top of the opening.