A sustainable roofing zone shall be required on 100 percent of the roof. For such sustainable roofing zone:
- A contiguous area of a sustainable roofing zone measuring less than 200 square feet (18.5 m2), or in the case of a building five stories or less in height where the main use or dominant occupancy is classified as Group R, such an area measuring less than 100 square feet (9.20 m2), shall be equipped with at least a solar photovoltaic electricity generating system if such system would accommodate at least 4kW of solar photovoltaic electricity generating capacity, as determined by the department; and
A sustainable roofing zone with a slope less than or equal to two units vertical in 12 units horizontal (17 percent) that would accommodate less than 4kW of solar photovoltaic electricity generating capacity, as determined by the department, shall be equipped with at least a green roof system.
Exceptions:*Section 1511.2 was added by Local Law 94 of 2019. This law has an effective date of November 15, 2019.
- Areas required to be set aside for setbacks or access pursuant to the New York City Fire Code, the New York City Construction Codes, or the Zoning Resolution of the City of New York.
- Areas occupied by rooftop structures, mechanical equipment, towers, parapets, guardrails, solar thermal systems, and appurtenances.
- Areas occupied by obstructions related to stormwater management practices including, but not limited to, cisterns, or reuse systems that are installed to comply with site connection or stormwater construction permits issued by the department of environmental protection.
- Terraces on setbacks comprising less than 25 percent of the area of the largest floor plate in the building.
- Recreational spaces that are principal to the use of the building on which the rooftop is located.
- A roof assembly with a slope greater than two units vertical in 12 units horizontal (17 percent) that would accommodate less than 4kW of solar photovoltaic electricity generating capacity.
- Areas where site conditions are determined by the department to be unfavorable to either a solar photovoltaic electricity generating system or a green roof system.
**Section 1511.2 was amended by Local Law 92 of 2019. This law has an effective date of November 15, 2019.