1226.4.13 Support Areas for Examination and Treatment Rooms
When provided, the entry of the medicine preparation room or area shall be under the visual control of the staff. This may be a part of the administrative center or nurse station and shall include all of the following:
- Work counter
- Lockable refrigerator
- Immediate access to handwashing station
- Locked storage for biologicals and drugs
When a medicine preparation room or area is to be used to store self-contained medicine dispensing units, the room shall be designed with adequate space to prepare medicines with the self-contained medicine-dispensing units present.
When provided, the location of a self-contained medicine-dispensing unit shall be permitted in the clean workroom or at the administrative center or nurses' station, provided there is adequate security for medications and adequate lighting to easily identify drugs. Immediate access to a handwashing station shall be provided.
If the room is used only for storage and holding as part of a system for distribution of clean and sterile materials, the work counter and handwashing fixture may be omitted. Soiled and clean utility rooms or holding rooms shall be separated and have no direct connection.
Soiled workroom or soiled holding room shall be provided and contain:
- Handwashing fixture
- Work counter
- Storage cabinets
- A designated area for waste receptacle(s)
- A designated area for soiled linen receptacle(s)
If the clinic includes a central sterile supply that complies with Section 1224.22 and the soiled holding room is used only for temporary holding of soiled materials, the clinic sink and work counter may be omitted. Where rooms are used for temporary holding of materials, provisions shall be made for separate collection, storage, and disposal of soiled materials. Soiled and clean utility rooms or holding rooms shall be separated and have no direct connection.
Separate storage for sterile supplies and pharmaceutical supplies shall be provided.
When provided, a sterilization facility shall meet the following applicable requirements:
- Soiled work area. A receiving and gross cleaning area which shall contain work space and equipment for cleaning medical and surgical equipment and for disposal of or processing of soiled materials.
- Clean work area. A clean work area which shall contain work space and equipment for sterilizing medical and surgical equipment and supplies.
- Sterilizing and equipment disinfection space.
- Storage. Space for sterile supplies and unsterile supplies.
When provided, all sterilizers and autoclaves which emit system steam exhaust shall be vented to the outside of the building. Such vents shall be independent from the plumbing vent system.
Exception: Small instrument sterilizers.