(A) Supply Conductors
Exception: The supply conductors within the fire pump room shall not be required to meet 230.6(1) or (2).
- Independent Routing. The conductors shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring.
- Associated Fire Pump Loads. The conductors shall supply only loads that are directly associated with the fire pump system.
- Protection from Potential Damage. The conductors shall be protected from potential damage by fire, structural failure, or operational accident.
- Inside of a Building. Where routed through a building, the conductors shall be protected from fire for 2 hours using one of the following methods:
- The cable or raceway is encased in a minimum 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete.
- The cable or raceway is a listed fire-resistive cable system.
Informational Note No. 1: Fire-resistive cables are tested to ANSI/UL 2196-2017, Standard for Fire Test, for Circuit Integrity of Fire-Resistive Power, Instrumentation, Control and Data Cables.
Informational Note No. 2: The listing organization provides information for fire-resistive cable systems on proper installation requirements to maintain the fire rating.
- The cable or raceway is a listed electrical circuit protective system.
Informational Note No. 1: Electrical circuit protective systems could include, but are not limited to, thermal barriers or a protective shaft and are tested in accordance with UL 1724, Fire Tests for Electrical Circuit Protection Systems.
Informational Note No. 2: The listing organization provides information for electrical circuit protective systems on proper installation requirements to maintain the fire rating.
Exception to 695.6(A)(2)(4): The supply conductors located in the electrical equipment room where they originate and in the fire pump room shall, not be required to have the minimum 2-hour fire separation or fire-resistance rating unless otherwise required by 700.10(D) of this Code.