// CODE SNIPPET
Section A303 Structural Weaknesses
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
For the purposes of this chapter, any of the following conditions shall be deemed a structural weakness:
- Sill plates or floor framing that are supported directly on the ground without a foundation system that conforms to the building code.
- A perimeter foundation system that is constructed only of wood posts supported on isolated pad footings.
- Perimeter foundation systems that are not continuous.
- Existing single-story exterior walls not exceeding 10 feet (3048 mm) in length, forming an extension of floor area beyond the line of an existing continuous perimeter foundation.
- Porches, storage rooms and similar spaces not containing fuel-burning appliances.
- A perimeter foundation system that is constructed of unreinforced masonry or stone.
- Sill plates that are not connected to the foundation or that are connected with less than what is required by the building code.
- Cripple walls that are not braced in accordance with the requirements of Section A304.4 and Table A3-A, or cripple walls not braced with diagonal sheathing or wood structural panels in accordance with the building code.