// CODE SNIPPET
1704.19 Structural Safety During Construction Operations
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Construction work consisting of structural alterations, excavation, underpinning, and demolition work that requires "design" as defined in Chapter 33, including: earth shoring, underpinning, protection of adjacent structures and buildings, shall be subject to special inspection in accordance with this section. All alterations to existing structures in which loads are transferred from one structural system of structural elements to another, such as installation of columns or girders, replacement of existing bearing walls, the creation of openings or slots in existing walls, girders or floors, alteration of arches, rigid frames, trusses in frame buildings, or where the stability or integrity of a structural system is to be temporarily diminished shall be subject to special inspections in accordance with this section.
Prior to commencement of work, the special inspector shall review the contractor's proposed sequence of operations and determine the areas of work that require design. A written statement shall be prepared, mutually acceptable to the contractor and the special inspector, indicating:
- The portions of work requiring design as defined in Chapter 33.
- The names and addresses of the licensed professionals that have been engaged to supply design documents for applicable work.
- The approximate dates for delivery of design documents.
- A schedule of periodic special inspections, at agreed intervals, including adequate frequency to assure the contractor's continued compliance with the proposed designs and sequence of construction operations.
Design documents including: shop drawings, sketches and written descriptions of proposed work regarding site structural safety in construction operations shall be prepared by a registered design professional in the employ of the owner or the contractor. Such designs may be revised at any time by the registered design professional. Copies of the special inspection log book, the design documents and revisions thereof, shall be maintained at the jobsite, and at the office of the special inspector, available for use and review at all reasonable times, until the structural work is complete. In the case of alteration to existing structures, the design documents shall be reviewed by the registered design professional of record.
The special inspector shall visit the jobsite at agreed intervals, assess the ongoing work and verify that operations conform with the design documents. Deficiencies shall be reported as required by Section 1704.2. In the event unsafe conditions are discovered, the commissioner and the registered design professional employed by the contractor shall be immediately notified.
The special inspection logbook shall be maintained at the special inspector's office and shall contain the following information:
- Project identification, application number and address.
- Date and time of each inspection.
- Names of personnel who performed each inspection.
- Dates of off-site meetings, names of the participants and a summary of the conversations.
Any significant observations or instructions given related to any of the following:
- Deviations from the design documents.
- Anticipated field conditions.
- Proper execution of the work.
- Safe job site conditions.
- Precautions taken to maintain safe conditions, if work is stopped for any reason.