// CODE SNIPPET
3307.2 Streets, Including Sidewalks, Walkways, and Pathways
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Where authorized by the commissioner, a temporary walkway open to the public may be provided through a site that is otherwise fenced and closed to the public. Such temporary walkway shall be:
- Protected by a sidewalk shed, or where acceptable to the commissioner, provided with overhead protection and lighting equivalent to that afforded by a sidewalk shed;
- Enclosed along the side facing the site with a solid fence that meets the requirements of Section 3307.7. Where the sidewalk shed or equivalent overhead protection extends beyond the height of the fence, the gap shall be enclosed with a wire screen comprised of not less than number 18 gage wire mesh, or equivalent synthetic netting, with openings in the wire or synthetic mesh no larger than 1/2 inch (13 mm); and
- Enclosed along the side facing the street with a wire screen comprised of not less than number 18 gage wire mesh, or equivalent synthetic netting, with openings in the wire or synthetic mesh no larger than 1/2 inch (13 mm), or where a special hazard exists, protected in accordance with Section 3307.4.7.
Where a means of ingress/egress to the property remains open to the public during the course of construction or demolition, walkways, pathways, and similar areas within the property line that provide a path of travel between the required means of ingress/egress and the public sidewalk or temporary walkway shall remain open.
Where foot bridges are utilized as part of a sidewalk, walkway, or pathway, they shall be provided with guardrails for the entire length, and shall have cleats to prevent slipping. Where planks are used to pave the walkway of the foot bridge, the planks shall be laid close and securely fastened to prevent displacement. Planks shall be of uniform thickness, and all exposed ends of ramps shall be provided with beveled fillers to eliminate tripping hazards.
Sidewalks, walkways, foot bridges, and pathways that remain open to the public shall be accessible and shall be provided with:
- A clear path, free of obstruction, at least 5 feet (1524 mm) in width;
- A durable walking surface capable of supporting all imposed loads and in no case shall the design live loads be less than 150 pounds per square foot (732.3 kg/m2);
- Mirrors at all blind corners;
- For a temporary walkway or foot bridge where there is a change in elevation along the walkway or footbridge, a ramp with a running slope not steeper than one unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (8-percent slope) with a level landing at least 5 feet long at the top and bottom of each run; and
- For a temporary walkway or foot bridge where the running slope of such walkway or foot bridge is steeper than one unit vertical in 20 units horizontal (5-percent slope) and there is a total rise greater than 6 inches (152 mm), handrails.