// CODE SNIPPET
34.10 Storage of Idle Pallets
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Idle pallets stored outside shall be stored in accordance with Table 184.108.40.206(a) and Table 220.127.116.11(b).
|Pile Size||Minimum Distance|
|Under 50 pallets||20||6|
|Over 200 pallets||50||15|
|Wall Construction||Minimum Distance of Wall from Storage|
|Under 50 Pallets||50 to 200 Pallets||Over 200 Pallets|
|Masonry with no openings||0||0||0||0||15||4.6|
|Masonry with wired glass in openings, outside sprinklers, and 1-hour doors||0||0||10||3||20||6|
|Masonry with wired or plain glass, outside sprinklers, and 3/4-hour doors||10||3||20||6||30||9|
|Wood or metal with outside sprinklers||10||3||20||6||30||9|
|Wood, metal, or other||20||6||30||9||50||15|
Idle pallet stacks shall not exceed 15 ft (4.6 m) in height nor shall cover an area of greater than 400 ft2 (37 m2). Pallet stacks shall be arranged to form stable piles. A distance of not less than 8 ft (2.4 m) shall separate stacks. Piles shall be no closer than 8 ft (2.4 m) to any property line.
Each site shall maintain a current site plan. The site plan shall be submitted to the authority having jurisdiction for review and approval and shall include all of the following:
- Lot lines
- Size, location, and type of construction of the buildings on the property
- Presence of fire protection systems
- Water supply sources for fire-fighting purposes
- Locations of hazardous material storage areas
- Location of pallet storage
- Equipment protected with a dust collection system
- Fire department access routes
- Designated smoking areas
- Locations of fire alarm control panels
The owner or designated representative shall submit a fire prevention plan for review and approval by the authority having jurisdiction that includes all of the following:
- Frequency of walk-through inspections to verify compliance with the approved fire prevention plan
- Hot work permit process in accordance with Chapter 41
- Preventive maintenance program for equipment associated with the pallet activities
- Inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire protection systems in accordance with Chapter 13
- Frequency of walk-through inspections to verify pallet stack height, area, and setbacks are in compliance with 34.10.4
The owner or designated representative shall prepare a security management plan based on a security risk assessment and shall make the plan and assessment available to the AHJ upon request.
Unless permitted by 18.104.22.168, stacks of pallets shall not be stored within 0.75 times the stack height or 8 ft (2.4 m), whichever is greater, of any property line.
Pallet stacks shall not exceed 20 ft (6 m) in height.
The size of pallet arrays shall comply with one of the following:
- Where the access to the pallet array is less than 20 ft (6 m) in width but at least 8 ft (2.4 m) in width, the nearest edge of any individual pallet stack shall be no more than 30 ft (9 m) from the access.
- Where the access to the pallet array is by a fire department access route complying with Section 18.2, the nearest edge of any individual pallet stack shall be no more than 50 ft (15 m) from the access.
- The individual pallet stack depth from access within pallet arrays at existing facilities that exceed 22.214.171.124(1) or 126.96.36.199(2) shall be as approved by the AHJ.
Portable fire extinguishers shall be selected, installed, and maintained in accordance with Section 13.6.
The AHJ shall be permitted to allow pallet stacks closer to a property line or structure on site where additional fire protection is provided, including, but not limited to, the following:
- The storage yard areas and materials-handling equipment selection, design, and arrangement are based upon an approved risk assessment.
- Automatic fire detection transmits an alarm signal to a supervising station in accordance with NFPA 72.
- Fire department access roads are provided around all storage areas.
Related Code Sections
34.10 General Storage, Storage of Idle Pallets
Idle pallets shall be stored outside or in a separate building designated for pallet storage, unless permitted by 34.10.2 ...
188.8.131.52 General Storage,
Between Outside Idle Pallet Storage and Other Yard Storage Pile Size Minimum Distance ft m Under 50 pallets 20 6 50 ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 34 General Storage > 34.10 Storage of Idle Pallets > 34.10.3* Outdoor Storage > 184.108.40.206
220.127.116.11 General Storage,
Idle pallet stacks shall not exceed 15 ft (4.6 m) in height nor shall cover an area of greater than 400 ft 2 (37 m 2 ). Pallet stacks shall ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 34 General Storage > 34.10 Storage of Idle Pallets > 34.10.3* Outdoor Storage > 18.104.22.168
22.214.171.124* General Storage,
The outside storage of wood and wood composite pallets or listed pallets equivalent to wood on the same site as a pallet manufacturing or pallet ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 34 General Storage > 34.10 Storage of Idle Pallets > 34.10.4 Outside Storage at Pallet Manufacturing and Pallet Recycling Facilities > 126.96.36.199*