// CODE SNIPPET
3303.4.5.2 Storage Near Unenclosed Perimeters
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
All material or equipment not being used shall be stored at least 10 feet (3048 mm), measured along all horizontal dimensions, from all unenclosed perimeters of the building or structure. Such material or equipment shall be secured in accordance with the requirements of Section 3303.4.5.1.
Exceptions: Provided the material or equipment is secured against accidental movement, in lieu of the 10 foot (3048 mm) set back distance:
- Material or equipment that weighs 750 pounds (340.2 kg) or more may be stored at least 5 feet (1524 mm) from the unenclosed perimeter.
- Where the floor area is less than 1,000 square feet (304.8 m2), material or equipment, regardless of weight, may be stored at least 5 feet (1524 mm) from the unenclosed perimeter.
- Where located on a floor or working deck that is at or above the level of the horizontal safety netting in accordance with Section 3308, material or equipment may be stored at least 2 feet (610 mm) from the unenclosed perimeter.
- Material related to concrete operations may overhang the unenclosed perimeter of the building or structure, provided:
- The material is banded with a minimum of two equally spaced bands to prevent dislodgement;
- The material is braced and secured in place by positive means as indicated on the site safety plan, or where there is no site safety plan, in accordance with drawings prepared by a registered design professional;
- The material overhangs by no more than one-third of its length;
- The material is stored in an area designated on the site safety plan, or where there is no site safety plan, in an area designated on drawings prepared by a registered design professional;
- Such designated area is broom swept and cleared of all materials, equipment, and debris prior to the temporary removal of the vertical netting and placement of overhanging material in the designated area;
- The perimeter of such designated area, except for the perimeter along the unenclosed perimeter, is protected by vertical netting meeting the requirements of Section 3308.5 or an alternative system acceptable to the commissioner;
- Horizontal safety netting meeting the requirements of Section 3308.6 is provided at a level not more than two stories or 30 feet (9144 mm) below the overhanging material, with such nets in place for the full time the material is overhanging, except that the nets may be pulled in at the immediate time the material is being hoisted or lowered where such nets would conflict with the hoisting or lowering operation; and
- The material is relocated on the next workday.