Storage consisting of solid pile, palletized or rack storage of Level 2 and 3 aerosol products not segregated into areas utilized exclusively for the storage of aerosols shall comply with Table 5104.3.1.
NONSEGREGATED STORAGE OF LEVEL 2 AND 3 AEROSOL PRODUCTS IN GENERAL PURPOSE WAREHOUSESb
|AEROSOL LEVEL||MAXIMUM NET WEIGHT PER FLOOR (pounds)b|
|Palletized or solid-pile storage||Rack storage|
|Combination 2 and 3||2,500||12,000||2,500||24,000|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 pound = 0.454 kg, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
|STORAGE SEPARATION||MAXIMUM SEGREGATED STORAGE AREAa||SPRINKLER REQUIREMENTS|
|Percentage of building area (percent)||Area limitation (square feet)|
|Separation areae, f||15||20,000||Notes b, c|
|Chain-link fence enclosured||20||20,000||Notes b, c|
|1-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||20||30,000||Note b|
|2-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||25||40,000||Note b|
|3-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||30||50,000||Note b|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
- The maximum segregated storage area shall be limited to the smaller of the two areas resulting from the percentage of building area limitation and the area limitation.
- Automatic sprinkler system protection in aerosol product storage areas shall comply with NFPA 30B and be approved. Building areas not containing aerosol product storage shall be equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Automatic sprinkler system protection in aerosol product storage areas shall comply with NFPA 30B and be approved. Sprinkler system protection shall extend a minimum 20 feet beyond the aerosol storage area.
- Chain-link fence enclosures shall comply with Section 5220.127.116.11.
- Separation areas shall only be permitted where approved.
Chain-link fence enclosures required by Table 5104.3.2 shall comply with the following:
- The fence shall not be less than No. 9 gage steel wire, woven into a maximum 2-inch (51 mm) diamond mesh.
- The fence shall be installed from the floor to the underside of the roof or ceiling above.
- Class IV and high-hazard commodities shall be stored outside of the aerosol storage area and not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from the fence.
- Access openings in the fence shall be provided with either self- or automatic-closing devices or a labyrinth opening arrangement preventing aerosol containers from rocketing through the access openings.
- Not less than two means of egress shall be provided from the fenced enclosure.
|STORAGE CONDITION||MINIMUM AISLE WIDTH (feet)||MAXIMUM DISTANCE FROM STORAGE TO AISLE (feet)|
|Solid pile or palletizeda||4 feet between piles||25|
|Racks with ESFR sprinklersa||4 feet between racks and adjacent Level 2 and 3 aerosol product storage||25|
|Racks without ESFR sprinklersa||8 feet between racks and adjacent Level 2 and 3 aerosol product storage||25|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
- Sprinklers shall comply with NFPA 30B.