5104.3 Storage in General Purpose Warehouses
Storage consisting of solid pile, palletized or rack storage of Level 2 and 3 aerosol products not segregated into areas utilized exclusively for the storage of aerosol products shall comply with Table 5104.3.1.
NONSEGREGATED STORAGE OF LEVEL 2 AND 3 AEROSOL PRODUCTS IN GENERAL PURPOSE WAREHOUSESb
|MAXIMUM NET WEIGHT PER FLOOR (pounds)b|
|Palletized or |
|Combination 2 and 3||2,500||12,000||2,500||24,000|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 pound = 0.454 kg, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
|Separation areae, f||15||20,000||Notes b, c|
|Chain-link fence enclosured||20||20,000||Notes b, c|
|1-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||20||30,000||Note b|
|2-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||25||40,000||Note b|
|3-hour fire-resistance-rated interior walls||30||50,000||Note b|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 square foot = 0.0929 m2.
- The maximum segregated storage area shall be limited to the smaller of the two areas resulting from the percentage of building area limitation and the area limitation.
- Automatic sprinkler system protection in aerosol product storage areas shall comply with NFPA 30B and be approved. Building areas not containing aerosol product storage shall be equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Automatic sprinkler system protection in aerosol product storage areas shall comply with NFPA 30B and be approved. Sprinkler system protection shall extend a minimum 20 feet beyond the aerosol storage area.
- Chain-link fence enclosures shall comply with Section 5126.96.36.199.
- Separation areas shall only be permitted where approved.
Chain-link fence enclosures required by Table 5104.3.2 shall comply with the following:
- The fence shall be not less than No. 9 gage steel wire, woven into a maximum 2-inch (51 mm) diamond mesh.
- The fence shall be installed from the floor to the underside of the roof or ceiling above.
- Class IV and high-hazard commodities shall be stored outside of the aerosol storage area and not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from the fence.
- Access openings in the fence shall be provided with either self- or automatic-closing devices or a labyrinth opening arrangement preventing aerosol containers from rocketing through the access openings.
- Not less than two means of egress shall be provided from the fenced enclosure.
AISLE WIDTH (feet)
|Solid pile or palletizeda||4 feet between piles||25|
|Racks with ESFR sprinklersa||4 feet between racks and adjacent Level 2 and 3 aerosol product storage||25|
|Racks without ESFR sprinklersa||8 feet between racks and adjacent Level 2 and 3 aerosol product storage||25|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
- Sprinklers shall comply with NFPA 30B.