Section 2808 Storage and Processing of Wood Chips, Hogged Material, Fines, Compost, Solid Biomass Feedstock and Raw Product Associated With Yard Waste, Agro- Industrial and Recycling Facilities
Piles shall not exceed 25 feet (7620 mm) in height, 150 feet (45 720 mm) in width and 250 feet (76 200 mm) in length.
Exception: The fire code official is authorized to allow the pile size to be increased where a fire protection plan is provided for approval that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Storage yard areas and materials-handling equipment selection, design and arrangement shall be based on sound fire prevention and protection principles.
- Factors that lead to spontaneous heating shall be identified in the plan, and control of the various factors shall be identified and implemented, including provisions for monitoring the internal condition of the pile.
- The plan shall include means for early fire detection and reporting to the public fire department; and facilities needed by the fire department for fire extinguishment including a water supply and fire hydrants.
- Fire apparatus access roads around the piles and access roads to the top of the piles shall be established, identified and maintained.
- Regular yard inspections by trained personnel shall be included as part of an effective fire prevention maintenance program.
Additional fire protection called for in the plan shall be provided and shall be installed in accordance with this code. The increase of the pile size shall be based on the capabilities of the installed fire protection systems and features.