The width of stairways shall be determined as specified in Section 1005.1, but such width shall not be less than 44 inches (1118 mm). See Section 1007.3 for accessible means of egress stairways.
- A width of not less than 36 inches (914 mm) shall be permitted in:
- A stairway that serves an occupant load of 50 or less cumulative for all stories; or
- A stairway that provides egress to the exit discharge solely for the use of Group R-2 occupancies, provided the building it serves is 125 feet (38 100 mm) or less in height, and provided such a stairway serves not more than 30 occupants per floor.
- Spiral stairways as provided for in Section 1009.9.
- Aisle stairs complying with Section 1028.
- Where an inclined platform lift or a stairway chairlift is installed on stairways serving occupancies in Group R-3, or within dwelling units in occupancies in Group R-2 a clear passage width not less than 20 inches (508 mm) shall be provided. If the seat and platform can be folded when not in use, the distance shall be measured from the folded position.