A sign shall be provided at each floor landing in an interior exit stairway and ramp connecting more than three stories designating the floor level, the terminus of the top and bottom of the interior exit stairway and ramp and the identification of the stairway or ramp. The signage shall also state the story of, and the direction to, the exit discharge and the availability of roof access from the interior exit stairway and ramp for the fire department. The sign shall be located 5 feet (1524 mm) above the floor landing in a position that is readily visible when the doors are in the open and closed positions. In addition to the stairway identification sign, a floor-level sign in visual characters, raised characters and braille complying with ICC A117.1 shall be located at each floor-level landing adjacent to the door leading from the interior exit stairway and ramp into the corridor to identify the floor level.
In addition to the stairway identification sign, raised characters and braille floor identification signs that comply with Chapter 11B of the California Building Code shall be located at the landing of each floor level, placed adjacent to the door on the latch side, in all enclosed stairways in buildings two or more stories in height to identify the floor level. At the exit discharge level, the sign shall include a raised five pointed star located to the left of the identifying floor level. The outside diameter of the star shall be the same as the height of the raised characters.
Stairway identification signs shall comply with all of the following requirements:
- The signs shall be a minimum size of 18 inches (457 mm) by 12 inches (305 mm).
- The letters designating the identification of the stair enclosure, such as STAIR NO. 1 or WEST STAIR, shall be placed at the top of the sign and shall be a minimum of 11/2 inches (38 mm) in height block lettering with 1/4-inch (6 mm) strokes.
- The number designating the floor level shall be a minimum of 5 inches (127 mm) in height with 3/4-inch (19 mm) strokes and located in the center of the sign. The mezzanine levels shall have the letter "M" preceding the floor level. basement levels shall have the letter "B" preceding the floor number.
- Other lettering and numbers shall be a minimum of 1 inch (25 mm) in height.
- The stairway's upper terminus, such as ROOF ACCESS or NO ROOF ACCESS, shall be placed under the stairway identification in 1-inch-high (25 mm) block lettering with 1/4-inch (6 mm) strokes.
- The lower and upper terminus of the stairway shall be placed at the bottom of the sign in 1-inch-high (25 mm) block lettering with 1/4-inch (6 mm) strokes.
- Characters and their background shall have a nonglare finish. Characters shall contrast with their background, with either light characters on a dark background or dark characters on a light background.
- Where signs required by Section 1023.9 are installed in the interior exit stairways and ramps of buildings subject to Section 1025, the signs shall be made of the same materials as required by Section 1025.4.