// CODE SNIPPET
1022.8 Stairway Identification and Floor Level Signs
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
A floor identification sign shall be provided at each floor landing within exit enclosures connecting more than three stories. Such sign shall designate:
- The floor level;
- The terminus of the top and bottom of the exit enclosure;
- The identification of the stair or ramp;
- The story of the exit discharge; and
- The availability of roof access from the enclosure for the Fire Department.
Stairway and floor identification signs required by Sections 1022.8.1 and 1022.8.2 shall comply with all of the following requirements:
- The signs shall be a minimum size of 18 inches (457 mm) by 12 inches (305 mm).
- The alphabetic letters designating the identification of the stair enclosure shall be a minimum of 11/2 inches (38 mm) in height.
- The number designating the floor level shall be a minimum of 5 inches (127 mm) in height and located in the center of the sign.
- All other lettering and numbers shall be a minimum of 1 inch (25 mm) in height.
- Characters and their background shall have a nonglare finish. Characters shall contrast with their background, with either light characters on a dark background or dark characters on a light background.
- When signs required by Section 1022.8 are installed in interior exit enclosures of buildings subject to Section 1024, the signs shall be made of the same luminous materials as required by Section 1024.4.
Related Code Sections
1022.8 Means of Egress, Stairway Identification and Floor Level Signs
Signs identifying stairways and floor levels shall comply with Sections 1022.8.1 through 1022.8.5 ...
NYC Building Code 2014 > 10 Means of Egress > 1022 Exit Enclosures > 1022.8 Stairway Identification and Floor Level Signs
Section 1022 Means of Egress, Exit Enclosures
level identification signs in tactile characters complying with ICC A117.1 shall be located at each floor level landing adjacent to the door on the stair ...
1019.1.7 Means of Egress, Stairway Floor Number and Identification Signs
A sign shall be provided at each floor landing in interior vertical exit enclosures connecting more than three stories designating the floor level ...
NYC Building Code 2008 > 10 Means of Egress > 1019 Vertical Exit Enclosures > 1019.1 Enclosures Required > 1019.1.7 Stairway Floor Number and Identification Signs
3002.3 Elevators and Conveying Systems, Emergency Signs
and the location and letter identification of the stairs on the floor. The sign shall be at least 10 inches by 12 inches (255 mm by 305 mm), located ...
NYC Building Code 2014 > 30 Elevators and Conveying Systems > 3002 Hoistway Enclosures > 3002.3 Emergency Signs
Article 9 Means of Egress, Stair and Elevator Signs
and maintained on every floor at the elevator landing. The sign shall read "IN CASE OF FIRE, USE STAIRS UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED". The lettering shall ...