// CODE SNIPPET
§27-01 Stair and Elevator Signs in Buildings Which Have at Least One Elevator
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
(a) Applicability. These rules and regulations shall apply to all buildings which have at least one elevator including:
(1) Any existing office buildings occupied or arranged to be occupied for an occupant load of more than one hundred (100) persons above or below the street level or more than a total of five hundred (500) persons in the entire building, and
(2) All other existing buildings which have at least one elevator, pursuant to §27-390 of the Administrative (Building) Code, as enacted by Local Law 16 of 1984.
(b) Signs at elevator landings.
(1) Elevator landing sign. On all floors other than the main entrance floor, a sign shall be posted and maintained on every floor at the elevator landing. The sign shall read "IN CASE OF FIRE, USE STAIRS UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED."
(2) Floor diagram sign. The sign shall contain a floor diagram showing the location where it is posted and the location and letter identification of the stairs on the floor and each elevator bank.
(3) J-2 multiple dwellings. The floor diagram sign may be omitted on all residential floors in J-2 multiple dwellings provided that:
(i) The stair is in the line of sight from the elevator call button, and
(ii) The stair is located a maximum of twenty (20) feet from the elevator call button, and
(A) There is not more than one stair, or
(B) Two sissor stairs, or
(C) A stair or fire escape serves only an individual apartment and directional signs with arrows and reading "TO STAIRS" are provided.
(c) Location. The sign(s) shall be located:
(1) Directly above the call button, and
(2) Its top shall not be above six (6) feet from the floor level.
(3) The sign(s) may be placed on the wall or an adjacent conspicuous place where there is insufficient wall space at the call button, or
(4) The sign(s) may be placed on the elevator door(s) where there is insufficient wall space or an adjacent conspicuous place at the elevator landing. Exception: Raised signs on horizontal sliding flush type elevator doors.
(d) Floor number sign(s). Floor numbering sign(s) shall be posted and maintained within each stair enclosure on every floor. The floor numbering sign shall be posted and maintained on the stair side of the door, or if no door, nearby on the wall or an adjacent conspicuous place.
(e) Stair and elevator identification signs. Each stair and each bank of elevators shall be identified by an alphabetic letter. A sign indicating the letter of identification for the elevator bank shall be posted and maintained at each elevator landing directly above or as part of the sign specified in 1 RCNY §27-01(b). The stair identification signs shall be posted and maintained on the occupancy and stair sides of the door, or if no door, nearby on the wall or an adjacent conspicuous place.
(f) Stair re-entry signs. Stair re-entry signs shall be posted and maintained on the stair door at each floor in buildings classified in Occupancy Group E, occupied or arranged to be occupied for an occupant load of more than a total of 500 persons in the entire building indicating re-entry is provided. The signs shall be attached approximately five feet above the floor. The signs shall read as follows and may be either independent or combined with the corresponding sign required by §§27-392 and 27-393:
(1) Where no re-entry is provided:
(i) Where no re-entry is provided from the stairs to any floor, the sign shall read "NO RE-ENTRY FROM THIS STAIR" and such sign shall be posted and maintained on the occupancy side of the stair door at each floor. No re-entry sign shall be required on the stair side of the door.
(ii) On every floor where failsafe re-entry locking devices are installed on exit doors, a sign reading "NO RE-ENTRY FROM THIS STAIR EXCEPT DURING FIRE OR EMERGENCY" shall be posted on the occupancy side of the stair door.
(2) Where re-entry is provided to specified floors:
(i) On the stair side of the door at floors where re-entry is provided, the sign shall read "RE-ENTRY ON THIS FLOOR."
(ii) Where no re-entry is provided on that floor, the sign on the stair side of the door shall read, "NO RE-ENTRY, NEAREST RE-ENTRY ON THE ____ AND ____ FLOORS." The floor numbers of the nearest re-entry below and the nearest re-entry floor above shall be entered in the blank spaces.
(g) Size of signs.
(1) Signs for new buildings shall be limited to combined elevator landing and floor diagram signs, conforming with paragraph (4) below. Signs for existing buildings in Occupancy Group J-2 may be either independent signs as required or combined signs, conforming with the size requirements as set forth in the following subdivisions.
(2) Elevator landing signs. Elevator landing signs shall be at least two and one-half (2 1/2) inches by ten (10) inches.
(3) Floor diagram signs. Floor diagram signs shall be at least eight (8) inches by twelve (12) inches.
(4) Combined elevator landing and floor diagram signs. Combined elevator landing and diagram signs shall be at least ten (10) inches by twelve (12) inches.
(h) Lettering and coloring of signs.
(1) Lettering and background shall be in contrasting colors.
(2) Lettering shall be of bold-type and properly spaced to provide good legibility.
(3) The lettering and numerals of the signs shall be at least one-half inch high, except that:
(i) Floor numbering sign numerals shall be at least three inches high.
(ii) Elevator identification sign letters shall be at least three inches high.
(i) Material for signs.
(1) Signs shall be of metal or other durable materials.
(2) Fire resistive pressure sensitive vinyl decals may be permitted if the plastic is printed on the reverse side.
(k) Signs in existing buildings.
(1) Signs installed prior to March 27, 1984 may be accepted by the Commissioner, provided that such signs will adequately accomplish the intended purpose.
(2) In buildings existing prior to March 27, 1984, the Commissioner may modify the requirements as to location of signs where compliance would cause practical difficulty or undue hardship.
(3) All existing buildings not already subject to the requirements of Local Law 5 as of January 18, 1983 shall comply with these requirements on or before October 1, 1985.
(l) Compliance date. Signs shall be installed on or before October 1, 1985.