// CODE SNIPPET
903.5.2 Sprinkler Systems in Other R-2 Occupancies
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Except as otherwise provided in FC903.5.1, in Group R-2 occupancies, sprinkler system shall be inspected and otherwise maintained as follows:
- Sprinkler systems shall be inspected at least once a month by a person employed by the owner, holding a certificate of fitness issued by the department, a fire suppression contractor license issued by the Department of Buildings, or, for a sprinkler system with not more than thirty sprinkler heads, a plumber, to ensure that all parts of the system are in perfect working order, and that the department connections, if any, are ready for immediate use by the department. Such inspection shall include a check of all control valves on the system, including the main supply control valve, making certain the valves are fully open and sealed in such open position; a check of the static pressure in the sprinkler system from a pressure gauge, if installed, located at or near the inspector's test connection, making certain the system design pressure is being maintained; a check that all sprinkler heads are in place; and such other requirements as the commissioner may prescribe. A detailed record of each inspection shall be kept for examination by any representative of the department.
- There shall be one or more employees instructed in the location and status of the sprinkler system control valves.
- There shall be kept available at all times in the premises a supply of at least six extra sprinkler heads, to replace promptly any fused or damaged sprinklers, except that a supply of at least three extra sprinkler heads shall be kept available for any sprinkler system installed in accordance with NFPA 13R, as modified by FC Appendix B.
- Fire department connections shall be hydrostatically tested at least once every 5 years in accordance with FC912.6.
- Upon order of the commissioner, but at least once every year, a flow test of the sprinkler system shall be conducted; provided, however, that where there is a pressure gauge installed at or near the inspector's test location that is checked during the required monthly inspection described in FC903.5.2(1) to make certain the system design pressure is being maintained, a flow test of the sprinkler system shall be conducted upon order of the commissioner, but at least once every 30 months. Such test shall be conducted at the owner's risk by his or her representative, who shall be a plumber or licensed master fire suppression contractor. At least one such test shall be conducted before a representative of the department at least once every 5 years. A report of each test, on a form prepared by the department, shall be certified by such plumber or licensed master fire suppression contractor and shall be kept for not less than 5 years and made available for inspection by any representative of the department.
- The owner or managing agent of any building subject to the requirements of this section shall maintain a record of each inspection and test and a listing of all outstanding violations issued pursuant to this section. Such records and listing shall be made available for inspection by occupants of such residential buildings during regular business hours.