// CODE SNIPPET
903.4 Sprinkler System Monitoring and Alarms
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
All valves controlling the water supply for automatic sprinkler systems, pumps, tanks, water levels and temperatures, critical air pressures and water-flow switches on all sprinkler systems shall be electrically supervised by the fire alarm system.
2. Automatic sprinkler systems installed in accordance with NFPA 13R where a common supply main is used to supply both domestic water and the automatic sprinkler systems and a separate shutoff valve for the automatic sprinkler system is not provided.
3. Jockey pump control valves that are sealed or locked in the open position.
4. Control valves to commercial kitchen hoods, paint spray booths or dip tanks that are sealed or locked in the open position.
5. Valves controlling the fuel supply to fire pump engines that are sealed or locked in the open position.
Alarm, supervisory and trouble signals shall be distinctly different and automatically transmitted to an approved central station, remote supervising station or proprietary supervising station as defined in NFPA 72 or, when approved by the commissioner, shall sound an audible signal at a constantly attended location.
1. Underground key or hub valves in roadway boxes provided by the city or a public utility are not required to be monitored.
2. Back flow prevention device test valves, located in limited area sprinkler system supply piping, shall be locked in the open position. In occupancies required to be equipped with a fire alarm system, the back flow preventer valves shall be electrically supervised by a tamper switch installed in accordance with NFPA 72 and separately annunciated.
Approved audible devices shall be connected to every automatic sprinkler system. Such sprinkler water-flow alarm devices shall be activated by water flow equivalent to the flow of a single sprinkler of the smallest orifice size installed in the system. Alarm devices shall be provided on the exterior of the building in an approved location. Where a fire alarm system is installed, actuation of the automatic sprinkler system shall actuate the building fire alarm system.