- Audible tones shall be permitted instead of speech for visible output that is not displayed for security purposes, including but not limited to, asterisks representing personal identification numbers.
- Advertisements and other similar information shall not be required to be audible unless they convey information that can be used in the transaction being conducted.
- Where speech synthesis cannot be supported, dynamic alphabetic output shall not be required to be audible.
Advisory 707.5 Speech Output. If an ATM provides additional functions such as dispensing coupons, selling theater tickets, or providing copies of monthly statements, all such functions must be available to customers using speech output. To avoid confusion at the ATM, the method of initiating the speech mode should be easily discoverable and should not require specialized training. For example, if a telephone handset is provided, lifting the handset can initiate the speech mode.
- Machine location, date and time of transaction, customer account number, and the machine identifier shall not be required to be audible.
- Information on printed receipts that duplicates information available on-screen shall not be required to be presented in the form of an audible receipt.
- Printed copies of bank statements and checks shall not be required to be audible.