403.12 Special Requirements for Public Safety
On-duty fire watch personnel shall have the following responsibilities:
- Keep diligent watch for fires, obstructions to means of egress and other hazards.
- Take prompt measures for remediation of hazards and extinguishment of fires that occur.
- Take prompt measures to assist in the evacuation of the public from the structures.
Where the fire code official determines that an indoor or outdoor gathering of persons has an adverse impact on public safety through diminished access to buildings, structures, fire hydrants and fire apparatus access roads or where such gatherings adversely affect public safety services of any kind, the fire code official shall have the authority to order the development of or prescribe a public safety plan that provides an approved level of public safety and addresses the following items:
- Emergency vehicle ingress and egress.
- Fire protection.
- Emergency egress or escape routes.
- Emergency medical services.
- Public assembly areas.
- The directing of both attendees and vehicles, including the parking of vehicles.
- Vendor and food concession distribution.
- The need for the presence of law enforcement.
- The need for fire and emergency medical services personnel.
- The need for a weather monitoring person.
Not fewer than two trained crowd managers, and not fewer than one trained crowd manager for each 250 persons or portion thereof, shall be provided for the gathering.
- Outdoor events with fewer than 1,000 persons in attendance shall not require crowd managers.
- Assembly occupancies used exclusively for religious worship with an occupant load not exceeding 1,000 shall not require crowd managers.
- The number of crowd managers shall be reduced where, in the opinion of the fire code official, the fire protection provided by the facility and the nature of the event warrant a reduction.
The duties of crowd managers shall include, but not be limited to:
- Conduct an inspection of the area of responsibility and identify and address any egress barriers.
- Conduct an inspection of the area of responsibility to identify and mitigate any fire hazards.
- Verify compliance with all permit conditions, including those governing pyrotechnics and other special effects.
- Direct and assist the event attendees in evacuation during an emergency.
- Assist emergency response personnel where requested.
- Other duties required by the fire code official.
- Other duties as specified in the fire safety plan.