645.4 Special Requirements for Information Technology Equipment Room
- Disconnecting means complying with 645.10 are provided.
- A heating/ventilating/air-conditioning (HVAC) system is provided in one of the methods identified in 645.4(2) a or b.
- A separate HVAC system that is dedicated for information technology equipment use and is separated from other areas of occupancy; or
- An HVAC system that serves other occupancies and meets all of the following:
- Also serves the information technology equipment room
- Provides fire/smoke dampers at the point of penetration of the room boundary
- Activates the damper operation upon initiation by smoke detector alarms, by operation of the disconnecting means required by 645.10, or by both
Informational Note: For further information, see NFPA 75-2017, Standard for the Fire Protection of Information Technology Equipment, Chapter 10, 10.1, 10.1.1, 10.1.2, and 10.1.3.
- All information technology and communications equipment installed in the room is listed.
- The room is occupied by, and accessible to, only those personnel needed for the maintenance and functional operation of the installed information technology equipment.
- The room is separated from other occupancies by fire-resistant-rated walls, floors, and ceilings with protected openings.
- Only electrical equipment and wiring associated with the operation of the information technology room is installed in the room.
Informational Note: HVAC systems, communications systems, and monitoring systems such as telephone, fire alarm systems, security systems, water detection systems, and other related protective equipment are examples of equipment associated with the operation of the information technology room.