// CODE SNIPPET
106-30 Special Regulations for Manufacturing or Commercial Uses
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
New buildings for manufacturing uses listed in Use Group M (Section 106-311) or commercial uses are allowed as-of-right, provided that:
- the zoning lot shares a common side lot line with a manufacturing or commercial use;
- the frontage along the street line of the zoning lot shall not exceed 60 feet, but in no event shall the total area of such zoning lot exceed 7,800 square feet;
- the zoning lot is not located within a continuous frontage of vacant zoning lots whose aggregate length exceeds 60 feet;
- such manufacturing use is listed in Use Group M;
- such commercial use is listed in Use Groups 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 or 16 and is located on Neptune, Stillwell or Cropsey Avenues; and
- no residential uses occupy the zoning lot.
Apparel or other textile products from textiles or other materials, including hat bodies or similar products
Bottling work, for non-alcoholic beverages
Brushes or brooms
Cameras or other photographic equipment, except film
Canvas or canvas products
Cosmetics or toiletries
Electrical appliances (small), including lighting fixtures, irons, fans, toasters, toys, or similar appliances
Electrical equipment assembly (small), including home radio or television receivers, home movie equipment, or similar products, but not including electrical machinery
Electrical supplies, including wire or cable assembly, switches, lamps, insulation, dry cell batteries or similar supplies
Fur goods, not including tanning or dyeing
Glass products from previously manufactured glass
Hair, felt or leather products, except washing, curing or dyeing
Ice, dry or natural
Laboratories, research, experimental or testing except those that involve dangerous or potentially explosive activities or animals
Leather products, including shoes, machine belting, or similar products
Machine tools - small parts only
Machines, business, including typewriters, accounting machines, calculators, card-counting equipment, or similar products
Mattresses, including rebuilding or renovating
Optical or precision instruments
Orthopedic or medical appliances, including artificial limbs, braces, supports, stretchers, or similar appliances
Printing or publishing
Sporting or athletic equipment, including balls, baskets, cues, gloves, bats, rods, or similar products
Statuary, mannequins, figurines, or religious art, excluding foundry operations
Textiles, spinning, weaving, manufacturing, printing, knit goods, yarn, thread or cordage, but not dyeing
Tobacco, including curing or tobacco products
Tools or hardware, including bolts, nuts, screws, doorknobs, drills or similar products
Vehicles, children's (bicycles, etc.)
Venetian blinds, window shades or awnings
Wood products, cabinet-making, pencils, baskets and other small products
The City Planning Commission may permit within the Special Coney Island Mixed Use District:
- uses listed in Section 106-311 (Use Group M) or commercial uses in developments not permitted by the provisions of Section 106-31 (Special Provisions for As-of-Right New Buildings for Use Group M or Commercial Use);
- change of use from a residential use to Use Group M or commercial use; and
- modifications in yard regulations for Use Group M or commercial uses in developments or enlargements;
provided that the following findings are made:
- that such use will comply with the regulations on performance standards of M1 Districts;
- that additional truck traffic generated by such use or the modification of yard regulations will not create harmful, congested or dangerous conditions; and
- that a change of use from residential to Use Group M or commercial use shall not displace or preempt any building which is essential to the functioning and growth of existing residences within the district.
The City Planning Commission may prescribe additional appropriate conditions and safeguards to minimize adverse effect on the character of the surrounding area.
Within the Special Coney Island Mixed Use District, the use of any building may be changed to another use listed within the same Use Group, or as follows:
From Use Group
To Use Group
5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15
6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14
16, 17 or Use Group M
6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 17 or Use Group M
6, 7, 8 ,9, 11, 14, 16, 17, 18 or Use Group M
Where a side lot line of a zoning lot containing manufacturing or commercial uses coincides with the side or rear lot line of a zoning lot containing residential uses, enlargements or developments shall provide an open area not at any point more than five feet above nor five feet below curb level, and at least 15 feet wide.
Where the rear lot line of a zoning lot containing manufacturing or commercial uses coincides with a side lot line of a zoning lot containing residential uses, enlargements or developments shall provide an open area not at any point more than five feet above nor five feet below curb level, and at least 20 feet in depth.
Where a zoning lot containing manufacturing or commercial uses shares a common rear lot line with a zoning lot containing residential uses, enlargements or developments shall provide an open area not at any point more than five feet above nor five feet below curb level, and at least 30 feet in depth. Such open areas shall not be used for accessory off-street parking, accessory off-street loading, or for storage or processing of any kind.
Related Code Sections
220.127.116.11 Special Application Elevators, Types Permitted
Suspension means shall consist of not less than two wire ropes. Only iron (low-carbon steel) or steel wire ropes, having the commercial ...
Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators 2013 of New York City > 5 Special Application Elevators > 5.7 Special Purpose Personnel Elevators > 5.7.14 Suspension Ropes > 18.104.22.168 Types Permitted
301.7 General Regulations, Fuel Types
Appliances shall be designed for use with the type of fuel gas that will be supplied to them ...
Section 1702 Structural Tests and Special Inspections, Definitions
by the commissioner to custom manufacture or build products or assemblies regulated by this code. CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE. A certificate stating ...
Section 1702 Structural Tests and Special Inspections, Definitions
approved by the commissioner to custom manufacture or build products or assemblies regulated by this code. CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE. A certificate ...
6.2.6 System Components and Hardware, Special Coatings
occurring at the time of installation shall be repaired at once using only the coating of the manufacturer of the sprinkler in the approved manner so ...
Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems 2016 of New York City > 6 System Components and Hardware > 6.2 Sprinklers > 6.2.6 Special Coatings