Means of egress doors shall be permitted to contain locking devices restricting the means of egress in areas in which the clinical needs of the patients require restraint of movement, where all of the following conditions are met:
- The locks release upon activation of the fire alarm system or the loss of power.
- The building is equipped with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- A manual release device is provided at a nursing station responsible for the area.
- A key-operated switch or other manual device is provided adjacent to each door equipped with the locking device. Such switch or other device, when operated, shall result in direct interruption of power to the lock—independent of the control system electronics.
- All staff shall have keys or other means to unlock the switch or other device or each door provided with the locking device.