// CODE SNIPPET
Chapter 8 Special Hunts Point District (HP)
Go To Full Code Chapter
108-00 General Purposes
The "Special Hunts Point District" established in this Resolution is designed to promote and protect the public health, safety and general welfare of the Hunts Point community. These goals include, among others, the following specific purposes:
- to provide a buffer of high-performance industrial and other commercial establishments around the residential area;
- to encourage the development of food-related businesses and other compatible businesses;
- to create a transition between the Hunts Point Food Market and related businesses and the adjacent neighborhood;
- to retain jobs in New York City;
- to promote the development of retail businesses in the neighborhood;
- to provide an opportunity for the physical improvement of Hunts Point; and
- to promote the most desirable use of land and thus conserve the value of land and buildings and thereby protect City tax revenues.
108-01 General Provisions
In harmony with the general purposes and content of this Resolution and the general purposes of the Special Hunts Point District, the provisions of this Chapter shall apply to all developments and enlargements within the Special Hunts Point District. The regulations of all other Chapters of this Resolution are applicable except as modified, supplemented or superseded by the provisions of this Chapter. In the event of a conflict between the provisions of this Chapter and other regulations of this Resolution, the provisions of this Chapter shall control. However, in flood zones, in the event of a conflict between the provisions of this Chapter and the provisions of Article VI, Chapter 4 (Special Regulations Applying in Flood Zones), the provisions of Article VI, Chapter 4, shall control.
The provisions of Article VI, Chapter 3 (Special Regulations Applying to FRESH Food Stores) shall apply in the Residential Buffer Subdistrict, and shall not apply in the Food Industry Subdistrict. For any food store subject to the provisions of Article VI, Chapter 3, the parking regulations of Section 63-24 (Required Accessory Off-street Parking Spaces in Certain Districts) shall supersede the provisions of Section 108-20 (MODIFICATION OF PARKING REQUIREMENTS IN THE RESIDENTIAL BUFFER SUBDISTRICT).
108-02 District Plan and Maps
The District Plan for the Special Hunts Point District identifies specific areas comprising the Special District in which special zoning regulations are established in order to carry out the general purposes of the Special Hunts Point District.
These areas shall include the Residential Buffer and the Food Industry Subdistricts.
The District Plan includes the Special Hunts Point District Map located in Appendix A to this Chapter.
The map is hereby incorporated and made part of this Resolution for the purpose of specifying locations where the special regulations and requirements set forth in the text of this Chapter shall apply.
108-10 Use Regulations
108-11 Use Modifications in the Special Hunts Point District
108-12 Use Modifications in the Residential Buffer Subdistrict
- In the Special Hunts Point District, the use regulations of the underlying M1-2 District within the Residential Buffer Subdistrict shall be modified to permit the following uses:From Use Group 3ALibraries, museums or non-commercial art galleriesFrom Use Group 4AClubsCommunity centers, not including settlement housesNon-commercial recreational centersFrom Use Group 6A, with no limitation as to floor area per establishmentFood stores, including supermarkets, grocery stores, meat markets or delicatessen storesFrom Use Group 10A, with a limitation of 40,000 square feet of floor area per establishment within 500 feet of the center line of Garrison AvenueCarpet, rug, linoleum or other floor covering storesClothing or clothing accessory storesDepartment storesDry goods or fabric storesFurniture storesTelevision, radio, phonograph or household appliance storesVariety stores.
- In the Special Hunts Point District, Use Group 18 uses shall not be permitted in the underlying M1-2 District within the Residential Buffer Subdistrict, except that breweries, limited to 10,000 square feet of floor area per establishment, shall be permitted.
108-13 Use Modifications in the Food Industry Subdistrict
In the Special Hunts Point District, in the underlying M1-2 District within the Food Industry Subdistrict, uses listed in Section 42-15 (Use Group 18) shall not be permitted, except for the following:
From Use Group 18A:
Beverages, alcoholic or breweries
Machinery, heavy, including electrical, construction, mining, or agricultural, including repairs
Metal or metal products, treatment or processing, including enameling, japanning, lacquering, galvanizing or similar processes
Steel, structural products, including bars, girders, rails, wire rope or similar products
From Use Group 18B:
108-14 Enclosure Regulations
In the Special Hunts Point District, all uses listed in Use Groups 16, 17 and 18 shall be located within completely enclosed buildings, except that building materials or contractors' yards, listed in Use Group 17, may be open or enclosed.
108-15 Applicability of Article V, Chapter 2 (Non-Conforming Uses)
In the Special Hunts Point District, a non-conforming use may be changed only to a conforming use.
The following sections pertaining to non-conforming uses in the Special Hunts Point District shall not apply:
Section 52-32 (Land With Minor Improvements)
Section 52-33 (Manufacturing or Related Uses in Residence Districts), inclusive
Section 52-34 (Commercial Uses in Residence Districts)
Section 52-35 (Manufacturing or Related Uses in Commercial Districts)
Section 52-36 (Non-conforming Commercial Uses in Commercial Districts)
Section 52-37 (Non-conforming Commercial Uses in Manufacturing Districts)
Section 52-43 (C1 or C4 Districts)
Section 52-44 (Residence Districts Except R1 and R2 Districts)
Section 52-45 (Non-conforming Residential Uses in M1 Districts)
Section 52-46 (Conforming and Non-conforming Residential Uses in M1-1D Through M1-5D Districts)
Section 52-54 (Buildings Designed for Residential Use in Residence Districts)
Section 52-56 (Multiple Dwellings in M1-1D Through M1-5D Districts)
Section 52-62 (Buildings Containing Residences in M1-1D Through M1-5D Districts)
Section 52-72 (Land with Minor Improvements)
Section 52-731 (Advertising signs)
Section 52-732 (Signs on awnings or canopies)
Section 52-74 (Uses Objectionable in Residence Districts)
Section 52-75 (Certain Types of Uses Involving Open Storage or Salvage).
108-20 Modification of Parking Requirements in the Residential Buffer Subdistrict
In the Residential Buffer Subdistrict, parking shall be provided at the rate of one space per 300 square feet of floor area for food stores, including supermarkets, grocery stores, meat markets or delicatessen stores. Cellar space used for retailing shall be included for the purpose of calculating requirements for accessory off-street parking spaces and accessory off-street loading berths.
108-30 Modification of Street Tree Requirements
Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 43-02 (Street Tree Planting in Manufacturing Districts), all developments or enlargements within the Special Hunts Point District that include uses listed in Use Group 17 or 18 shall provide street trees in accordance with Section 26-41 (Street Tree Planting). The street frontage used to calculate the number of required trees may exclude the street frontage occupied by curb cuts serving uses listed in Use Groups 17 or 18.
Appendix A Special Hunts Point District
Related Code Sections
Article 3 Building Limitations, Fire Districts
The following city areas are hereby established as being inside the fire districts: (a) All of the borough of Manhattan. (b) All of the borough ...