// CODE SNIPPET
22.2.11 Special Features
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Remote-control locking and unlocking of occupied rooms in Use Condition IV shall not be required, provided that both of the following criteria are met:
- Not more than 10 locks need to be unlocked to relocate all occupants from one smoke compartment to an area of refuge as promptly as is required where remote-control unlocking is used. (See 18.104.22.168 for requirements for smoke barrier doors.)
- Unlocking of all necessary locks is accomplished with not more than two separate keys.
All remote-control release-operated doors shall be provided with a redundant means of operation as follows:
- Power-operated sliding doors or power-operated locks shall be constructed so that, in the event of power failure, a manual mechanical means to release and open the doors is provided at each door, and either emergency power arranged in accordance with 22.214.171.124.2 is provided for the power operation or a remote-control manual mechanical release is provided.
- Mechanically operated sliding doors or mechanically operated locks shall be provided with a manual mechanical means at each door to release and open the door.
The emergency power required by 126.96.36.199.1(1) shall be arranged to provide the required power automatically in the event of any interruption of normal power due to any of the following:
- Failure of a public utility or other outside electrical power supply
- Opening of a circuit breaker or fuse
- Manual act(s), including accidental opening of a switch controlling normal lighting facilities
The emergency power shall be arranged to automatically operate within 10 seconds upon failure of normal power and to maintain the necessary power source for a minimum of 11/2 hours.