1008.1.9.6 Special Egress Locks for Group I-2
Approved special egress locks shall be permitted in a Group I-2 occupancy where the clinical needs of persons receiving care require such locking. Special egress locks shall be permitted in such occupancies where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or an approved automatic smoke or heat detection system installed throughout the locked space in accordance with Section 907, provided that the doors unlock in accordance with Items 1 through 7. The doors unlock upon actuation of the automatic sprinkler system or automatic fire detection system.
- The doors unlock upon loss of power controlling the lock or lock mechanism.
- The door locks shall have the capability of being unlocked by a signal from the fire command center, a nursing station or other approved location.
- A building occupant shall not be required to pass through more than one door equipped with a special egress lock before entering an exit.
- The procedures for the operation(s) of the unlocking system shall be described and approved as part of the emergency planning and preparedness required by Chapter 4 of the fire code.
- All clinical staff shall have the keys, codes or other means necessary to operate the locking devices.
- Emergency lighting shall be provided at the door.
Exception: Items 1 through 4 shall not apply to doors to areas where persons, which because of clinical needs, require restraint or containment as part of the function of a psychiatric treatment area.