Special detention arrangements meeting the requirements of Sections 1008.1.11.through 1008.1.11.4.are permitted for rooms, other than cells, where the occupants are being restrained for safety or security reasons. The use of Sections 1008.1.11.through 1008.1.11.5 may be revoked by the fire code official or building official for due cause.
Locking devices shall release upon any of the following conditions:
- Activation of the automatic sprinkler system.
- Activation of any automatic fire detection device.
- Activation of any automatic fire alarm system.
- Loss of electrical power to the locking device or the fire alarm system.
- Activation of the fire alarm trouble signal.
- Operation of a manual switch located in an approved location.
All locking devices shall be designed to fail in the open position. Following the release of the locking devices for any of the conditions specified above, relocking of the devices shall be by manual means only at the door.
When special detention arrangements are used, the room or area being secured shall be protected with quick-response sprinklers.
When special detention arrangements are used, the room or area and spaces between the room or area and an exterior exit door shall be protected with automatic smoke detection connected to the building's fire alarm system. If the walls of the room or area do not extend to the ceiling, automatic smoke detection can be provided in the adjacent room or area, provided that there are no substantial obstructions to delay activation of the smoke detection.