// CODE SNIPPET
1184.108.40.206.4.3 Special Design Elements
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Seclusion rooms shall be designed and constructed in compliance with the following requirements:
- The walls, ceiling, and floor of the seclusion room shall be designed to withstand direct and forceful impact. If padded materials are used inside the room, they shall meet the interior finish requirements in Chapter 8, Interior Finishes, of this code.
- Minimum ceiling height shall be 9 feet (2743 mm).
- Door hardware shall be ligature resistant.
- The entrance door to the seclusion room shall swing outward.
- Doors shall permit staff observation of the patient through a view panel while also maintaining provisions for patient privacy. The maximum sill height shall be 36 inches (914 mm) above the finish floor. The view panel shall be fixed glazing with polycarbonate or laminate on the inside of the glazing.
- Seclusion rooms shall not contain outside corners or edges.
- All items in the room (e.g., lighting fixtures, sprinkler heads, HVAC grilles, and surveillance cameras, etc.) shall be tamper resistant.
- Electrical switches and receptacles are prohibited in the seclusion room.