1203.3.4 Solvent-Cemented Joints
Joint surfaces shall be clean and free of moisture. An approved primer shall be applied to CPVC and PVC pipe-joint surfaces. Joints shall be made while the cement is wet. Solvent cement conforming to the following standards shall be applied to all joint surfaces:
- ASTM D2235 for ABS joints.
- ASTM F493 for CPVC joints.
- ASTM D2564 for PVC joints.
CPVC joints shall be made in accordance with ASTM D2846.
Exception: For CPVC pipe joint connections, a primer is not required where all of the following conditions apply:
- The solvent cement used is third-party certified as conforming to ASTM F493.
- The solvent cement is yellow in color.
- The solvent cement is used only for joining 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) through 2-inch (51 mm) diameter CPVC pipe and fittings.
- The CPVC pipe and fittings are manufactured in accordance with ASTM D2846.