// CODE SNIPPET
E4001.11 Snap Switch Faceplates
Go To Full Code Chapter
Faceplates provided for snap switches, dimmers and control devices mounted in boxes and other enclosures shall be installed so as to completely cover the opening and, where the switch is flush mounted, seat against the finished surface. [404.9(A)]
E4001.11.1 Faceplate Grounding
Snap switches, including dimmer and similar control switches, shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor and shall provide a means to connect metal faceplates to the equipment grounding conductor, whether or not a metal faceplate is installed. Metal faceplates shall be bonded to the equipment grounding conductor. Snap switches, dimmers, control switches and metal faceplates shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor using either of the following methods:
- The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or metal cover that is connected to an equipment grounding conductor or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for connecting to an equipment grounding conductor.
- An equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper is connected to an equipment grounding termination of the snap switch. [404.9(B)]
- Where a means to connect to an equipment grounding conductor does not exist within the snap-switch enclosure or where the wiring method does not include or provide an equipment grounding conductor, a snap switch without a grounding connection to an equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted for replacement purposes only. A snap switch wired under the provisions of this exception and located within 8 feet (2438 mm) vertically or 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally of ground or exposed grounded metal objects, shall be provided with a faceplate of nonconducting noncombustible material with nonmetallic attachment screws, except where the switch-mounting strap or yoke is nonmetallic or the circuit is protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter. [404.9(B) Exception No. 1]
- Listed kits or listed assemblies shall not be required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor if all of the following conditions apply:
- The device is provided with a nonmetallic faceplate and the device is designed such that no metallic faceplate replaces the one provided.
- The device does not have mounting means to accept other configurations of faceplates.
- The device is equipped with a nonmetallic yoke.
- All parts of the device that are accessible after installation of the faceplate are manufactured of nonmetallic materials. [404.9(B) Exception No. 2]
- Connection to an equipment grounding conductor shall not be required for snap switches that have an integral nonmetallic enclosure complying with Section E3905.1.3. [404.9(B) Exception No. 3]
Related Code Sections
E4001.11 Devices and Luminaires, Snap Switch Faceplates
Faceplates provided for snap switches, dimmers and control devices mounted in boxes and other enclosures shall be installed so as to completely cover ...
(A) Equipment for General Use, Faceplates
Faceplates provided for snap switches, dimmers, and control switches mounted in boxes and other enclosures shall be installed so as to completely ...