R335.5.2 Smoke Alarms in Groups R-3.1 Occupancies
- Smoke alarms shall be provided throughout the habitable areas of the dwelling unit except kitchens.
- 2.1. Smoke alarms shall receive their primary power from the building wiring when such wiring is served from a commercial source and shall be equipped with a battery backup.
- 2.2. Smoke alarms shall be electrically interconnected so as to cause all smoke alarms to sound a distinctive alarm signal upon actuation of any single smoke alarm. Such alarm signal shall be audible throughout the facility at a minimal level of 15 db above ambient noise level. These devices need not be interconnected to any other fire alarm device, have a control panel, or be electrically supervised or provided with emergency power.
The audible signal shall be the standard fire alarm evacuation signal, ANSI S3.41 Audible Emergency Evacuation Signal, "three pulse temporal pattern," as described in NFPA 72.
- Visible alarm notification appliances are not required in alterations, except where an existing fire alarm system is upgraded or replaced, or a new fire alarm system is installed.
- Visible alarm notification appliances shall not be required in enclosed exit stairways, exterior exit stairs, and exterior exit ramps.
- Visible alarm notification appliances shall not be required in elevator cars.
Protective social care facilities which house persons who are hearing impaired, shall be provided with notification appliances for the hearing impaired installed in accordance with NFPA 72 and which shall activated upon initiation of the fire alarm system or the smoke alarms.
Exception: The use of the existing evacuation signaling scheme shall be permitted where approved by the enforcing agency.