// CODE SNIPPET
1310.2.5 Sizing Procedures
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The size of each section of pipe in a system within the range of Table 1310.2.1(2) through Table 1310.2.1(7) shall be determined in accordance with the following:
- Determine the total flow rate and number of outlets or inlets for each section of pipe in accordance with Table 1305.2 and Table 1305.3.
- Measure the length of the section of pipe to each station outlet or inlet on the system. Multiply the measured pipe length by 1.5 (150 percent), to account for the number of fittings in the system, to determine the pipe equivalent length.
- Beginning with the most remote outlet or inlet, multiply the total flow rate by the diversity factor specified in Table 1310.2.1(1) for each section of pipe to determine the sizing flow rate for the piping.
- Select Table 1310.2.1(2) through Table 1310.2.1(7) based on the medical gas or vacuum being transported through the piping.
- Select an estimated pipe size for determining the system pressure loss. Multiply the pipe equivalent length, for a given section of pipe, by the pressure loss for the sizing flow rate in the applicable table. Divide that number by 100 to determine the system pressure loss for the section of pipe.
- Add the pressure loss for each section of piping, from the source equipment location to the outlet or inlet, to determine the total system pressure loss to each outlet or inlet. The total system pressure loss in the piping to each outlet or inlet shall not exceed the values specified in Table 1310.2.2(1).