// CODE SNIPPET
1215.4 Sizing of Piping Sections
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
To determine the size of each section of pipe in a system within the range of Table 1215.2(1) through Table 1215.2(36), proceed as follows:
- Measure the length of the pipe from the gas meter location to the most remote outlet on the system.
- Select the length in feet column and row showing the distance, or the next longer distance where the table does not give the exact length.
- Starting at the most remote outlet, find in the row just selected the gas demand for that outlet. Where the exact figure of demand is not shown ,choose the next larger figure in the row.
- At the top of this column will be found the correct size of pipe.
- Using this same row, proceed in a similar manner to each section of pipe serving this outlet. For each section of pipe, determine the total gas demand supplied by that section. Where gas piping sections serve both heating and cooling appliances and the installation prevents both units from operating simultaneously, the larger of the two demand loads needs to be used in sizing these sections.
- Size each section of branch piping not previously sized by measuring the distance from the gas meter location to the most remote outlet in that branch and follow the procedures of steps 2, 3, 4, and 5 above. Size branch piping in the order of their distance from the meter location, beginning with the most distant outlet not previously sized.