A sign permit shall not be required where the sign is:
- Painted directly on the exterior wall surface of a building or on the surface of a fence;
- A wall sign of not more than six square feet (0.56 m2) in area;
- Erected by employees of a city agency, including traffic and other similar signs;
- A ground sign offering the sale or rental of the premises on which it is erected, provided the sign does not exceed 12 square feet (1.1 m2) in area;
- Temporary and erected during construction work and related thereto;
- Temporary for special decorative display use for holidays, public demonstrations, or the promotion of civic, welfare or charitable purposes, except that signs that utilize streets or cross streets shall be subject to the requirements of the department of transportation; or
- Temporary signs offering the sale or rental of real property when erected on the premises offered for sale or rent.