// CODE SNIPPET
Section 3111 Sidewalk Cafés
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Enclosed sidewalk cafés shall be constructed of noncombustible material. The walls of such enclosures shall not extend more than 8 feet (2438 mm) above the sidewalk. Light-transmitting plastic glazing complying with Section 2606 shall be permitted as glazing within such walls. Light-transmitting plastic skylight glazing complying with Section 2610 may be installed in the roofs of such enclosures.
Awnings supported entirely from the building may be placed over unenclosed sidewalk cafés provided they are at least 8 feet (2438 mm) clear above the sidewalk and within the limits specified by the Commissioner of the Department of Consumer Affairs. Such awnings shall be in compliance with Section 3105 of this code.
No part of any awning, enclosure, fixture, equipment or removable platform of a sidewalk café shall be located:
- Beneath a fire escape so as to obstruct operation of fire escape drop ladders or counter-balanced stairs;
- So as to obstruct any exit from a building;
- So as to obstruct any cellar access hatch or areaway;
- So as to interfere with any vent or other mechanical ventilation outlet or inlet;
- So as to interfere with or obscure any standpipe connections, hydrant or associated signage in any way that would hinder its use by the Fire Department.
Removable platforms of sidewalk cafés shall be constructed in accordance with the requirements of this section.
No papers, trash or other materials may be permitted to accumulate in the area beneath the floor of any removable platform.