In addition to the manual controls installed to comply with Sections A22.214.171.124 and A126.96.36.199 for every floor, all indoor lighting systems shall be equipped with separate automatic controls to shut off the lighting. These automatic controls shall meet the requirements of Section A5.209.1and may be an occupant sensor, automatic time switch or other device capable of automatically shutting off the lighting.
- Where the lighting system is serving an area that must be continuously lit, 24 hours per day/365 days per year.
- Lighting in corridors, guestrooms, dwelling units of high-rise residential buildings and hotel/motels and parking garages.
- Up to 0.3 watts per square foot of lighting in any area within a building that must be continuously illuminated for reasons of building security or emergency egress, provided that the area is designated a security or emergency egress area on the plans and specifications submitted to the enforcement agency under Section 10-103(a)2 of Title 24, Part 1.
- Is readily accessible; and
- Is located so that a person using the device can see the lights or the area controlled by that switch or so that the area being lit is annunciated; and
- Is manually operated; and
If an automatic time switch control device is installed to comply with Section A188.8.131.52.1, it shall incorporate an automatic holiday "shut-off" feature that turns off all loads for at least 24 hours and then resumes the normally scheduled operation.
Exception: Retail stores and associated malls, restaurants, grocery stores, churches and theaters.