// CODE SNIPPET
Section 427 Short-Term Holding Areas
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
In all groups other than Group E, short-term holding areas shall be permitted to be classified as the main occupancy, provided all of the following are met:
- Provisions are made for the release of all restrained or retained occupants of short-term holding areas at all times.
- Aggregate area of short-term holding areas shall not occupy more than 10 percent of the building area of the story in which they are located and shall not exceed the tabular values for building area in Table 503, without building area increases.
- Restrained or detained occupant load of each short-term holding area shall not exceed 20.
- Aggregate restrained or detained occupant load in short-term holding areas per building shall not exceed 80.
- Compliance with Sections 408.3.7, 408.3.8, 408.4, and 408.7, as would be applicable to I-3 occupancies.
- Requirements of the main occupancy in which short-term holding areas are located shall be met.
- Fire areas containing short-term holding areas shall be provided with a fire alarm system and automatic smoke detection system complying with Section 907.2.6.3, as would be applicable to I-3 occupancies.
- Where each fire area containing short-term holding areas exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2), such fire areas shall be provided with an automatic sprinkler system complying with Section 903.3.
- Short-term holding areas shall be separated from other short-term holding areas and adjacent spaces by smoke partitions complying with Section 710.