// CODE SNIPPET
420.9.1 Shared Cooking Facilities
Go To Full Code Chapter
In Group R occupancies, rooms or indoor spaces that contain cooking facilities with domestic cooking appliances shared by the occupants of more than one dwelling unit or sleeping unit shall be in accordance with all of the following criteria:
- The types of domestic cooking appliances permitted shall be limited to ovens, cooktops, ranges, coffee makers, warmers and microwaves.
- The space containing the domestic cooking facilities shall be arranged so as not to obstruct access to a required exit.
- Domestic cooking hoods installed and constructed in accordance with Section 505 of the Chicago Mechanical Code shall be provided over cooktops or ranges.
- A timer shall be provided that automatically deactivates the cooking appliances within a period of not more than 120 minutes.
- A portable fire extinguisher shall be provided. Installation shall be in accordance with Section 906 and the extinguisher shall be located within a 30-foot (9144 mm) distance of travel from each domestic cooking appliance.
Related Code Sections
420.9.1 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, Shared Cooking Facilities
In Group R occupancies, rooms or indoor spaces that contain cooking facilities with domestic cooking appliances shared by the occupants of more than ...
14X-9-903.2.1 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures, Shared Residential Facilities
and may not be more than one story above or below the sleeping unit of any occupant intended to share the facilities. Bathrooms serving sleeping units ...
14X-9-902.2.3 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures, Shared Toilet Rooms
Every shared toilet room must contain a lavatory unless both adjoining sleeping rooms contain a lavatory or kitchen sink ...
407.2.6 Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, Nursing Home Cooking Facilities
In Group I-2, Condition 1 occupancies, rooms or spaces that contain a cooking facility with domestic cooking appliances shall be permitted to be open ...
3316.8 Work Site Safety and Operations, Cooking
Cooking shall be prohibited except in designated cooking areas. Signs with a minimum letter height of 3 inches (76 mm) and a minimum brush stroke ...