Section 713 Shaft Enclosures
Where exterior walls serve as a part of a required shaft enclosure, such walls shall comply with the requirements of Section 705 for exterior walls and the fire-resistance-rated enclosure requirements shall not apply.
Exception: Exterior walls required to be fire-resistance rated in accordance with Section 1021.2 for exterior egress balconies, Section 1023.7 for interior exit stairways and ramps and Section 1027.6 for exterior exit stairways and ramps.
Shafts that do not extend to the bottom of the building or structure shall comply with one of the following:
- They shall be enclosed at the lowest level with construction of the same fire-resistance rating as the lowest floor through which the shaft passes, but not less than the rating required for the shaft enclosure.
- They shall terminate in a room having a use related to the purpose of the shaft. The room shall be separated from the remainder of the building by fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. The fire-resistance rating and opening protectives shall be not less than the protection required for the shaft enclosure.
- They shall be protected by approved fire dampers installed in accordance with their listing at the lowest floor level within the shaft enclosure.
- The fire-resistance-rated room separation is not required, provided that the only openings in or penetrations of the shaft enclosure to the interior of the building occur at the bottom. The bottom of the shaft shall be closed off around the penetrating items with materials permitted by Section 718.3.1 for draftstopping, or the room shall be provided with an approved automatic sprinkler system.
- A shaft enclosure containing a waste or linen chute shall not be used for any other purpose and shall discharge in a room protected in accordance with Section 713.13.4.
- The fire-resistance-rated room separation and the protection at the bottom of the shaft are not required provided that there are no combustibles in the shaft and there are no openings or other penetrations through the shaft enclosure to the interior of the building.
Waste and linen chutes shall comply with the provisions of NFPA 82, Chapter 6 and shall meet the requirements of Sections 712 and 713.13.1 through 713.13.6. Incinerator rooms shall meet the provisions of Sections 713.13.4 through 713.13.5.
Exception: Chutes serving and contained within a single dwelling unit.