// CODE SNIPPET
2209.3.1 Separation From Outdoor Exposure Hazards
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Generation, compression and dispensing equipment shall be separated from other fuels or equivalent risks to life, safety and buildings or public areas in accordance with Table 2209.3.1.
Exception: Closed systems with a hydrogen capacity of 3,000 cubic feet (85 m3) or less at NTP.
|OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT OR FEATURE||DISTANCEa (feet)|
|Building—Noncombustible walls||10b, c|
|Building—Combustible walls||25b, c|
|Public sidewalks and parked vehicles||15b, c|
|Air intake openings||25d|
|Wall openings located less than 25 feet above grade||20d|
|Wall openings located 25 feet or more above grade||25d|
|Outdoor public assembly||25b|
|Above-ground flammable or combustible liquid storage—diked in accordance with Section 3404.2.9.7, distance to dike wall||20|
|Above-ground flammable or combustible liquid storage—not diked in accordance with Section 3404.2.9.7, distance to tank||50|
|Underground flammable or combustible liquid storage—distance to vent or fill opening||20|
|Flammable gas storage (other than hydrogen)— with emergency shutoff interconnected with the hydrogen system||25|
|Above-ground flammable gas storage (other than hydrogen)—without emergency shutoff interconnected with the hydrogen system||50|
|Combustible waste material (see Section 304.1.1)||50b|
|Vertical plane of the nearest overhead electric wire of an electric trolley, train or bus line||50|
|Vertical plane of the nearest wire of overhead electrical power distribution lines||5|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm. 1 cubic foot = 0.02832 m3.
- The applicability of tabular distance is in terms of a radius that defines a hemisphere from the source when not interrupted by an intervening fire barrier without through penetrations.
- See Section 222.214.171.124.
- The dispenser and point of transfer for dispensing need not be separated from canopies constructed in accordance with Section 406.5 of the International Building Code and constructed in a manner that prevents the accumulation of hydrogen gas.
- Measured along the natural and unobstructed line of travel (e.g., around protective walls, around corners of buildings).
- Ignition sources include appliance burner igniters, hot work and hot surfaces capable of igniting flammable vapors.
The outdoor separation shall be allowed to be reduced to 5 feet (1524 mm) where a 2-hour fire barrier interrupts the line of sight between equipment, other than dispensers, and the exposure within the radial distance as indicated by the tabular value. The height of the barrier shall be a minimum of 6 feet (1829 mm), but not less than 1.5 times the height of the equipment, measured vertically. The length of the wall shall be not less than 1.5 times the maximum diameter or length of the tank.