907.8.4 Sensitivity Test Method
To verify that each smoke detector is within its listed and marked sensitivity range, it shall be tested using one of the following methods:
- A calibrated test method.
- The manufacturer's calibrated sensitivity test instrument.
- Listed control equipment arranged for the purpose.
- A smoke detector/control unit arrangement whereby the detector causes a signal at the control unit where the detector's sensitivity is outside its acceptable sensitivity range.
- Another calibrated sensitivity test method acceptable to the fire code official.
Detectors found to have a sensitivity outside the listed and marked sensitivity range shall be cleaned and recalibrated or replaced.
- Detectors listed as field adjustable shall be permitted to be either adjusted within the listed and marked sensitivity range and cleaned and recalibrated or they shall be replaced.
- This requirement shall not apply to single-station smoke alarms.