// CODE SNIPPET
1010.3.2 Security Access Turnstiles
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Security access turnstiles that inhibit travel in the direction of egress utilizing a physical barrier shall be permitted to be considered as a component of the means of egress, provided that all of the following criteria are met:
- The building is protected throughout by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Each security access turnstile lane configuration has a minimum clear passage width of 22 inches (559 mm).
- Any security access turnstile lane configuration providing a clear passage width of less than 32 inches (810 mm) shall be credited with a maximum egress capacity of 50 persons.
- Any security access turnstile lane configuration providing a clear passage width of 32 inches (810 mm) or more shall be credited with a maximum egress capacity as calculated in accordance with Section 1005.
- 5.1. Upon loss of power to the turnstile or any part of the access control system that secures the physical barrier.
- 5.2.1. On the egress side of each security access turnstile lane.
- 5.2.2. At an approved location where it can be actuated by an employee assigned to the area at all times that the building is occupied.
- 5.4. Upon actuation of the building automatic sprinkler or fire detection system, after which the physical barrier remains in the open position until the fire alarm system is manually reset.